Using talc as filler in paint imparts valuable properties to the final product.
- Improved coverage properties:
- Talc has a lamellar (layered) molecular structure and the layers are weakly bonded to one another and can thus slide over one another. This helps the paint to slide smoothly on the surface it is being applied on.
- Talc increases the pseudoplasticity of the paint. Pseudoplasticity refers to the reduction of viscosity when shear forces are applied. Thus, it is less strenuous to apply and the desired thickness of the paint film can be achieved.
- Improved durability of the applied paint:
- Talc is hydrophobic in nature and therefore offers the paint film resistance to wet scrubbing.
- Talc’s particle form is platy, which is important for optimum filler packing in the paint film. The platy particles also create a good barrier against unwanted substances such as water, CO2 and O2.
- Talc protects the paint from UV radiation.
- Talc is chemically inert and does not react with air, acid, water etc.
- Talc is an excellent carrier for anti-corrosive primers.
- Individual layers of talc are strong. Therefore, its presence strengthens the paint film.
- Improved visual properties:
- Talc has high whiteness and therefore interferes minimally with the shade of the pigment.
- Talc has high brightness due to which the paint doesn’t dull in appearance.
- Talc lessens the requirement of solvent for the pigment, thereby causing minimum dilution of pigment as well as improving cost.
- Improved adhesion properties:
- The platy shape of talc minimizes the shrinkage of binder system during curing of the paint film and thus promotes the adhesion of paint film to the surface.
Color, particle size, oil absorption and acid solubility are the main criteria for selecting talc for paint manufacture.At Anand Talc, we have talc of high whiteness, low oil absorption, low acid solubility and fine particle size so to impart the right quality to the paint. Moreover, we can manufacture various grades of talc depending on the application in the paint industry. Our talcs can be used in architectural paints, industrial paints, extenders to name a few. Our range of grades means that we can offer suitable products at different price points to optimally suit the customer’s functional requirement as well as budget.